Saturday, July 24, 2010

Birthday Ramble....


I turned 39 this month. It was pretty uneventful. The nicest part of the day was spent with a good friend of mine and our girls. I was treated to lunch, wonderful girlfriend conversation and a day spent by my friend's pool. I got the usual phone call from my Mom and Dad wishing me happy birthday. My husband bought me my favorite German chocolate cake and gave me an i.o.u for the bicycle that I wanted. All in all a nice day. But......what I really got out of my 39th birthday was the realization that I entered into a new stage of my life. I'm older, wiser, more stubborn, a person with less patience. I'm a person that wants more out of my life, ready for change and that for my birthday I want more...... I want to hear from my parents what it was like the day I came into their life, not just "happy birthday". I want to know how I made a difference in their lives bad or good. I want my husband to celebrate my birthday because he is thankful I am in his life. I want to know that I matter to him enough to plan ahead for my special day. I would rather he write me a love letter than an i.o.u for a gift. What I got for my birthday is the gift of realizing that there is a new me. A me that realizes how short life is and how empty life can be. I wonder what I will be like at 40? In case you are wondering, I did get the bike.

No comments: