Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Body Odor....Why Me, Why Now?


For as long as I can remember I have not had body odor (BO). Or should I say, for as long as I remember I have not smelled my body odor nor has any body else complained about my body odor.

Just recently I have picked up on my own scent and the scent was not pleasing. It wasn't just after I had been exercising but also from me just existing. So, I changed deodorants, deodorant soaps and scrubbed a little more and a little harder. Still the same issue. Why was this happening to me? This was not acceptable. I'm just not that person who can except their personal scent as a natural perfume. If I can't stand the smell I'm assuming someone else can't either. I again changed deodorants and soap only to have the same outcome. I showered more, changed more and got some really great perfume which by the way does not totally cover up BO.

I decided to research why a woman in her late 30's might develop this new scent and what to do about it. There are a lot of reasons why body odor occurs however I suspect that the reason it is happening to me is because I may be in Peri-Menopause or it could be a reaction from a medication. I found the other possible reasons to be very fascinating so that is why I made this the subject of my Blog.


Possible Causes of BO


Alcohol
Caffeine
Bacteria present in the sweat
Strong medicines
Smoking
Prolonged illness
Diseases, like kidney problems, liver problems etc
Skin problems
Gastrointestinal problems
Stress
Weak metabolism
Fungal infection
Deficiency of zinc mineral, cavities, toxins, etc
Poor hygiene
Heredity factors
Certain foods and beverages, like hot beverages, spicy foods, etc
Menopause - Peri Menopause
Low levels of male hormones
Low blood sugar or hypoglycemia
Overactive thyroid or hyperthyroidism
Over Abundance of Refined Sugar
Sweating
Fever
Drinking Soda out of Plastic Bottles (One leading cause of estrogen dominance)


Now that I have listed possible causes for BO I want to share with you some of the ways you can prevent the scent. If you are a BO sufferer like me and choose to try one of the methods involving ingestion, I suggest checking with your physician especially if you are currently on a medication, vitamin or herb.


How to Prevent BO


Steam Baths

Crystal Deodorants (Check health food stores or on-line)

Baby Wipes to frequently freshen area inflicted

Make Wipes with a combination of Alcohol and Witch Hazel (use under Arms instead of deodorant).

Alum

Baking Powder (Kills bacteria)

Radishes (Juice about 2 dozen, add 1/4 tsp. glycerin. Put in squirt bottle)

Rosemary (Antibacterial herb. Use 8-10 drops of essential oil into 1 oz distilled water. Put in spray bottle and use where you have BO)

Use deodorant Soap (Not foo foo stuff)

Avoid Synthetic Fibers

Scrub with tomato juice (Use 3 cups)

Clean and Febreeze your clothing.

Wear breathable and loose clothing

Add supplements like Magnesium, Chlorophyll tablets, Vitamin A, B and Zinc.

Stress about it less

Don't eat white flour

Avoid Onions, Garlic, Spicy and Oily foods

Avoid Meat

Use Anti Bacterial Soap made with Lemongrass

Use a Mixture of Vinegar and Alcohol

Apply Apple Cider Vinegar (On neck and under arms to control sweat).

Use Hydrogen Peroxide 3% (Under arms or on feet to kill bacteria).

Use Peanut Butter (Under your arms every night to control perspiration. MY FAV

Tea Tree Oil (2 drops essential oil to 1 oz. of water where needed)


I have tried deodorant soap, adding supplements, watching refined sugars, the crystal, using vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. The vinegar and hydrogen peroxide seemed to work at taking the odor away but I can't tell you how long it would last. I have not given it ample time before putting on traditional deodorant. With a busy schedule I don't want to experiment at the risk of BO. I'll save that for a lazy stay-at-home weekend.

I do know that the crystal deodorant does work. It takes a couple of days for your body to adjust but once it does, it works well. Be aware that if you let someone else use it, you might as well trash it. It must work with your body's chemistry so if someone else uses it, it throws it off and doesn't work as well for you. My next venture will be the essential oil sprays.

Well, if my BO is due to Per-Menopause then I will have a whole host of other fun things to look forward to. Thank you for reading my blog. Happy Sweating!


The above information was ascertained from several reputable websites and medical references. I suggest further research or contacting your physician if you have a serious case of BO. :)






No comments: