Sunday, September 13, 2009

Wife of a Fireman




This blog is a letter that I've needed to write to my husband. I want to share it with you. Dear Tom, I haven't told you what a struggle it has been to be the wife of a Fireman. I also haven't told you how proud of you I am that you are a Fireman. I haven't told you that I am lonely when you work your 24 hour shifts and a second job. I haven't told you that I am thankful that I can stay home to raise our children. I haven't told you that there have been many sleepless nights when I have laid awake and worried about you as I listened to the sirens. I haven't told you that I have laid awake and wondered what would I do if I left you? I haven't told you that there have been times that I have been so angry that I have almost felt hatred. I haven't told you that I love you so much. I haven't told you that I am sad that you've missed so many of your children's firsts. I haven't told you that I'm thankful that you helped a little child. I haven't told you that I can't forgive you for not coming home when I was sick but I haven't told you that I'm so glad you held that woman's hand as she passed away. I haven't told you that I am so mad that you are never home. I haven't told you that I am so grateful we have a home and food on our table without question. I haven't told you that when I look into our children's eyes I see all the time we've missed with them. I haven't told you that when I look at our children, I see you and me and what is good. I haven't told you that being the wife of a Fireman can be a lonely place but I'm sure not as lonely as being a Fireman. I haven't told you how proud of you I am. Thank you for what you do. I love you.

No comments: